KWS SL-8 Commercial 450W 1/2HP Electric Meat Grinder Review
KWS short for KitchenWare Station don’t just build appliances; they give them a personality. They make them with a soul. They give them intention. Looking at any one of their products, you feel as if its trying to tell you something. And that’s what the KWS SL-8 Commercial Meat Grinder looks like. It has a certain look of eagerness. Once on the worktop, it seems like it can’t wait to get grinding. That makes me eager as well. It makes me want to indulge it and see what it can do. Perhaps that’s the secret to the KWS 25 years of success. You see one of their appliances and you just want to use them.
KWS SL-8 Commercial 450W 1/2HP Electric Meat Grinder Overview
Let’s get one thing out of the way. This meat grinder, just like all other meat grinders, isn’t a looker. The metallic build, the large meat tray it holds above itself, the long snout that spews the ground meat. Nothing about it is good looking. The meat grinder world isn’t fit for the image centered kind. The work they do doesn’t allow them to look good. That out of the way, let’s take a deeper look at this product review for KWS SL-8 commercial 450W 1/2HP Electric Meat Grinder.
The SL-8 is a grinder made for the commercial world. It has got an armor of stainless steel all round it. This makes it durable and extremely rugged. We know, because of this, that it can handle the heavy work. It boldly sits on your kitchen counter flaunting its dimensions of 19 inches along the length and 9.5 inches along the width. To complete the bold look, it rises to a height of 14.5 inches. It isn’t small folks. And it isn’t light either. Weighing in at 35 pounds, you might not enjoy moving it around. Mercifully, KWS attached a plastic handle to ease portability. However, once you plant it on the ideal place, let it be. Hidden within this mass of steel is a super powerful motor that packs a punch of 450 watts. This ensemble will cost you $299.00 on Amazon.
KWS SL-8 Commercial 450W 1/2HP Electric Meat Grinder Style and Design
Reaching out to the side, you’ll find an on/ off switch. Flip over the waterproof cover protecting it and flick the switch to give life to the grinder. Immediately, you feel the powerful 450 watts transcend through its build, anticipating its first victims. You oblige and feed it. The large meat tray towering over the grinder holds a sizeable chunk of the meat. And with the plastic pusher you shove the meat through. The motor crunches as the meat is wonderfully ground. Did I mention that included are two grinder plates? Well you have the options of either a fine grind or a coarse grind with the ¼ inch and 5/16 inch plates. So, the KWS SL-8 quickly spits out a ground product. It’s fast. This grinder has the capacity to work through 176 pounds of meat per hour. Then, if you are a fan of homemade sausages, the SL-8 comes bundled with four sausage stuffing tubes. With these you can easily make your favorite sausage, just the way you like it.
Cleaning it is surprisingly quite easy. It neatly disassembles allowing you to painlessly buff it. There are some hard to reach areas that you’ll need a brush for. Overall, the whole process should take you about 10 minutes to complete.
All right, let’s take a look at a break down of the SL-8’s pros and cons.
KWS SL-8 Commercial 450W 1/2HP Electric Meat Grinder Pros and Cons
- The SL-8 is powerful. With a motor of 450 watts, it gets the job done and gets it done fast. This being a commercial grinder, we’re happy it lives up to expectation, being able to grind 176 pounds of meat per hour.
- Giving it the ultimate powerful look is the high quality stainless steel build. Everything from tray to the legs are stainless steel. This makes it quite durable. It doesn’t flinch at heavy work.
- The only part that isn’t stainless steel is the feet. These are made of non-slip rubber, another pro.
- Combined with the weight, the rubber feet give the grinder stability.
- The KWS SL-8 is also easy to clean. This is a huge pro considering most commercial appliances don’t easily disassemble. This one is.
- Then, of course, the addition of the sausage stuffing tubes and plastic pusher are certainly a plus for this grinder.
- Well, it goes without saying the SL-8’s main con is its weight. And this is a setback in portability. Moving it around isn’t easy at all.
- Then, the body has some sharp edges that come off as dangerous. They can easily cut your hands if you’re not careful.
KWS SL-8 Commercial 450W 1/2HP Electric Meat Grinder Ratings
Overall, this is a well built appliance that doesn’t disappoint at all. It grinds neatly and effortlessly. And it does this quickly ensuring you get through you pounds and pounds of meat in no time. Being a commercial grinder, we expect it to be heavy. In fact, anything lighter would worry us. The KWS made a grinder that performs as well, perhaps even better than its more expensive competitors. So with that, it takes home a clean 5 out of 5.
Be sure to read our Best Meat Grinders Rated by Consumers Guide!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $58.13Was: $89.99
Price: Out of stock