Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer Review
The Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer, a budget slicer for you who are starting out your home slicing life. This machine is perfect if you want those nice and thin meats and veggies without spending an arm and a leg. In a market filled with so many electric slicers, this machine stands out so conspicuously. It’s a huge slicer, there’s no denying that. In fact, placed beside its peers in the same price bracket or even its more expensive counterparts, this Nesco slicer towers over them. But, is big always better?
Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer Overview
Nesco armed this slicer with a massive 8.5 inch serrated blade. No doubt, it takes its job seriously. Powering this rotating giant is a staggering 180 watt motor. For the new comers, the average home electric slicer carries a 130 watt motor, even the more expensive ones don’t pack such a punch. With all that power, we expect this beast to effortlessly rip through anything it’s fed. The blade is not only huge but, as far as the eye can tell, looks super sharp. The machine is embodied in a stainless steel housing that comes in a lovely silver color. For your protection, there’s a hand guard that puts some distance between your fingers and the mighty blade. Sticking out of the hand guard, are tiny spikes that make it easy to grip food and keep them from sliding off before meeting the blade. This electric slicer will set you back $74.15.
Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer Style and Design
The Nesco FS-250 is endowed with a big body. It measures 11 inches by 10.5 inches by 15.5 inches and weighs in at 13.2 pounds. It isn’t small and doesn’t want to pretend to be. It’s an imposing figure in your kitchen and wears an ever threatening look. Power it to life and the 180 watt motor growls as it rotates the sharp giant. This slicer is much quieter than you would think. The powerful motor doesn’t make more noise than the less powerful ones. You will notice that the blade doesn’t rotate very fast. Being such a huge rotary, however, the blade doesn’t need as many rotations as the smaller ones so worry not. Feed in its first victims and the result is stellar. The slices are nice and thin, beautifully done. The blade doesn’t get cowed by anything. Feed it corned beef, dried beef, pastrami, Canadian bacon, ham you name it, and it will spit out a beautiful slice just for you. Nothing seems to deter it. Except, however, it seems to deter itself. After just ten minutes of continuous duty, the slicer starts to heat. The instructions warn users of this and says that the beast will need an hour of cooling off time after every ten minutes of action. So, here’s a down side to all that power. You’ll get ten minutes of continuous work for an hour of cooling off. This machine isn’t a marathoner, it’s a sprinter.
Although the blade is big, it only has a cutting height of 6.5 inches so you’ll need to cut up chunks larger than this height. There is a bit of a tendency for the hand guard to rise slightly as you push the food towards the blade. It’s nothing alarming but is definitely something to keep your eyes on.
Cleaning this beast is surprisingly easy. Disassembling all the parts is a cinch and cleaning takes about five to seven minutes. Dry the machine for fifteen minutes, reassemble it in one minute, re-oil and presto, you’re done. It’s that easy.
Okay, is big better, let’s breakdown the pros and cons of the Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer.
Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer Pros and Cons
- The machine, for sure, is powerful. Nothing deters it from bringing out the perfect slice. It delivers on it’s duty.
- The ease of cleaning is also impressive. You’d expect cleaning this beast to be hard but it is surprisingly easy. The machine’s weight gives it an advantage of being sturdy and its suction cup feet ensures it remains planted on the kitchen cabinet while in operation.
- The hand guard too does an impressive job of keeping the food held with the tiny spikes enhancing grip. Then, of course, it’s price is a major pro for the Nesco FS- 250 slicer, it’s definitely affordable.
- This electric slicer is heavy, so much heavier than its peers. It is portable but if you’re coming from a smaller slicer, you’ll definitely feel the difference.
- Also, not being able to use it beyond ten minutes at a time is a setback and the followup one hour cooling period will slow you down if you have a large portion of food to slice up.
- The cutting height is also a bit of a hindrance since you have to result to using a knife to make the food a bit smaller if you’ve got large chunks to slice.
Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer Ratings
This slicer is for home use and not for heavy work. Sure, it’s big and heavy but that’s all the better for you to get good results. And it certainly delivers. The heating is in deed a drawback. However, in ten minutes, you can churn out a considerable amount of slices for a simple home meal. This is definitely a slicer that does what it’s meant for. So with that, I wrap up this Product review for Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer with a rating of 4.5 out of 5.
CHECK THE LOWEST PRICE HERE
Be sure to read our Best Meat Slicers Rated by Consumers Guide!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $119.99Was: $133.95
Price: $62.29Was: $81.17
Price: $59.99Was: $149.99